Oregano essential oil (Origanum Vulgare) is obtained through steam distillation from fresh or dried flowering plants of common oregano – Origanum vulgare L. (family clearing – Lamiaceae).
Origin of the plant
Southern Europe, the Mediterranean.
Distribution of the plant
In the wild, it grows throughout Europe. Cultivated in Europe, Asia, America.
Oil properties: pale yellow, over time brownish-yellow liquid with a strong aromatic, somewhat tart smell and sharp spicy taste.
The main components of the oregano essential oil
Carvacrol, thymol, β-caryophyllene, gemakren D, sabinene, cymene, β-ocimene, geraniol, γ-terpinene, α-in micro tuyen, α-pinene, camphene, myrcene, α-phellandrene, carene, limonene, 1.8 -tsineol, terpinolene, borneol, terpinen-4-ol, α-terpineol, metilkarvakrol, neral, geranial, cubeb, humulene, β-bisabolen, cadinene, kariofillenoksid and other mono- and sesquiterpene hydrocarbons. The content of phenols in oil reaches 70%, and the proportion of thymol is 5 – 15%.
Oregano essential oil uses
Sedative, anti-inflammatory, antisclerotic, expectorant, antispasmodic, analgesic, diuretic, carminative, diaphoretic, antiviral, weak bactericidal and mycoseptic. Increases the functional activity of the stomach, liver, spleen.
Strengthens the secretion of digestive and bronchial glands, restores the drainage system of the bronchi. Reduces cholesterol in the blood. Increases the resistance of tissues to a lack of oxygen, improves energy metabolism in the central nervous system.
It has a calming effect on the central nervous system, it helps to eliminate stress reactions and neuroses. The fragrance of Oregano Essential Oil calms, restores emotional balance, causes a surge of strength, eliminates irritability and fears. Dulls the feeling of hunger, normalizes the process of splitting and removing fat from the body, reduces weight, helps to eliminate cellulite.
Oregano oil indications benefits
Colds, tonsillitis, colds, tracheitis, bronchitis, tuberculosis of the lungs, bronchial asthma, whooping cough, diseases of the digestive system (decreased secretory activity of the digestive glands, lack of appetite, increased acidity of the gastric juice, heartburn, peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer, diarrhea, enterocolitis, dysbiosis , spasms or atony of the stomach and intestines, hepatitis, cholecystitis, aerophagia, flatulence), hemorrhoids, stress, neuroses, insomnia, tinnitus, headache, migraine, facial tics, hiccoughs, deafness, toothache (2-3 drops oil in the hollow of a sick tooth), joint and muscle pains, uterine spasms, skin diseases (neurodermatitis, eczema, acne, chronic skin rashes, pustular lesions, furunculosis, allergic dermatitis), herpes, cellulitis, menstrual irregularities, climax. premises during the epidemic of influenza prevents the spread of infection.
Oregano essential oil recipes
- For massage 1-2 drops of Oregano Essential Oil is mixed with 10 ml of vegetable oil-base.
- To enrich the creams, lotions, shower gels, shampoos, 2-3 drops of essential oil are mixed with 15 ml of the base.
- 4-5 drops of oil are added to the aroma lamps and baths. When conducting sedentary baths in a basin with warm water add 1-2 drops of oil, previously mixed with an emulsifier, as with a common bath.
- For warm compresses take 3-4 drops of essential oil per 1 glass of water (temperature 38-40 ° C).
- For hot inhalation take 2-3 drops of oil per 1 liter of hot water, and for cold – 2-4 drops per 1 liter of cold water. Inhalations with oil of oregano are prescribed for respiratory diseases and asthma.
- Ointment against pediculosis: essential oil of oregano – 25 drops, verbena essential oil – 25 drops, essential oil of thyme – 25 drops, geranium essential oil – 5 g, white melted – 5 g, petrolatum – 85 g.
Oregano essential oil blends well with following oils
Oregano oil blends with oil of lavender, eucalyptus, pine, rosemary, cedar, bergamot, basil, geranium, thyme, fennel, lemongrass, myrtle, grapefruit, and orange.
Side effects of oregano
Strong oil that can irritate mucous membranes. Do not apply for a long time (more than 7 consecutive days) and in the first 6 months of pregnancy. Contraindicated in ischemic heart disease (acts depressingly on the cardiovascular system). It should be remembered that essential oil of oregano can exhibit an exciting narcotic effect.
Cases of seizures are known after use, especially in high doses. Before using the oil, it is necessary to conduct a sample for sensitivity.