Jojoba oil (Oleum Simmondsiae) get from the seeds of jojoba (or johoba, or simmondsiya Chinese) – Simmondsia chinensis (the family simmondsey – Simmondsiaceae).
Brief description of the plant
This dioecious, strongly branched, evergreen shrub is 1-2 m tall with sedentary, opposite, whole leaves. Flowers small, unisexual, devoid of petals. Fruit is a triangular box. In the fleshy cotyledons of seeds there is a significant amount of liquid wax (esters of fatty acids and alcohols), which is nowhere else in the plant world. This plant is a long-liver, can live more than 100 years and even reach 200 years of age.
Distribution of the plant
Simmondsia grows in desert and semi-desert regions in the southwest of the USA and in Northwest Mexico. Since simmondsya very unpretentious to soil conditions, extremely drought and salt is stable, then its culture is established in desert areas.
Jojoba oil properties
In the composition of the fatty oil of jojoba (liquid wax) there are fatty acids – gadolein (65-80%), erucic (10-22%), oleic (5-15%), nerve (up to 3.5%), palmitic (up to 3 %), palmitoleic (up to 1%), behenic (1%) and others (up to 3%), as well as fatty acid esters, amino acids, collagen, vitamin E. Today, a unique liquid plant wax has acquired the greatest value as a substitute for spermaceti – liquid animal wax, obtained from the head of the sperm whale. Special studies by American scientists have shown that the chemical composition and properties of liquid jojoba and spermacetia wax have much in common. The Jojoba Oil is very resistant to rancidity. This property is explained by the significant content of vitamin E, which is a strong antioxidant. To prevent rancidity and extend the shelf life of other fatty oils, it is recommended to add 1-2% of jojoba oil to them.
Jojoba oil uses
Jojoba oil is an ideal tool for everyday skin care and hair of any type. It has a delicate texture, high penetrating power, regenerating, emollient, moisturizing and anti-inflammatory action. When applied to the skin and hair, the oil is completely absorbed and does not leave a greasy trace, it is convenient for skin care after shaving.
Especially effective is the use of jojoba oil to care for the tender skin of newborns with diaper rash, rash, dry and flaky skin. It is used to care for the skin around the eyes, as well as dry, weather-beaten and cracked lips.
With regular use, jojoba oil helps rejuvenate tired and flabby skin, eliminate wrinkles and prevent the appearance of new ones.
In cosmetics and dermatology, jojoba oil is widely used both independently and in mixtures with other fatty and essential oils. It is used for striae (stretch marks, scars after pregnancy), minor injuries, fissures, sunburn, acne, condensation on the palms, elbows, soles of the feet. Jojoba oil softens the painful manifestations and itching of dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema. It is also used for the care of eyelashes, eyebrows, colored, dry and brittle hair and for dandruff.
To the basic fatty oils, which are part of massage compositions for the treatment of cellulite, obesity, atrite and arthrosis, it is desirable to add 2 to 50% jojoba oil.
Jojoba oil recipes
- Massage, hair mask. 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil put on the scalp, make a light massage and leave the oil overnight, wash it off in the morning. To 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil, you can add 3-5 drops of rosemary, ylang-ylang or petitgrune essential oils. The resulting mixture is used as a nutritional mask for the hair, applying to the scalp for 1-1.5 hours.
- Appliques, face masks. To care for the skin under the eyes to prevent and eliminate wrinkles, jojoba oil is used in its pure form. To this end, it is especially effective to use the mixture with the addition of 1 to 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil to 1 tablespoon of essential oils, limetta, neroli, incense, rose or santalum.
- With the problem skin, you can use jojoba oil in its pure form, in combination with one of the fatty vegetable oils in a ratio of 1: 1 or with the addition of 2-3 drops of essential oils per 1 tablespoon of fat base. With acne, cayuput essential oil is added, with sunburn – lavender. Napkins, moistened with an oil mixture, apply on problem areas of the skin for 15-20 minutes.
- To clean the skin after shaving, use pure jojoba oil to lubricate or add essential oil of rosewood (1-2 drops per 1 tablespoon of jojoba).
- Enrichment of cosmetics: to 10 g of cream, 10 ml of tonic or lotion, add 5-10 ml of jojoba oil; for 100 ml of shampoo or hair balm add 7-10 ml of oil.
Jojoba oil has acquired great importance in the industry for the production of plastics and lubricants.
Individual is not perception. Since jojoba oil stimulates hair growth, women with manifestations of hypertrichosis on the face (the appearance of unwanted hair), it is recommended to apply it, diluting with any other vegetable oil 10 times (i.e., 1 part of jojoba oil per 9 parts of another fatty oil).